Peculiarities of starch adhesives application
Starch is a natural polymer of plant origin. It is most often produced from corn, potatoes, and wheat. Due to its unique properties and specific characteristics, starch has found application in the industrial production. Because of the unique formula, it has several uses in industry. One of them is bonding.
Starch based adhesive applications
You can use starch adhesive: for gluing labels, in the production of corrugated board or wallpaper adhesives.
For product labeling, adhesives based on modified starches can be used in the following cases:
- The line speed is less than 30 thousand bottles per hour. The label is pasted on dry glass at a temperature up to 40 ˚С.
- When labels are sticked with overlap of more than 8 mm on PET or tin containers.
Starch adhesives for labelling are very popular because they have a number of specific advantages, including the following:
- Relatively low cost.
- Can be used in manual application.
- Easy cleaning equipment.
- Can be diluted with water.
- A wide range of glue.
Testing of starch adhesive on equipment
Before testing it is necessary:
- Check the adhesives for compatibility by mixing a small amount of equal doses of the two adhesives. Indicators of adhesive incompatibility are: coagulation, foaming, significant dilution or thickening of the mixture of the tested samples, etc.
- In case adhesives are compatible, full cleaning of the adhesive system is not required. It is enough to clean the pump, wipe the carriers and pump the remaining glue in the hoses. If the adhesives are not compatible, you should thoroughly wash the adhesive system from the remnants of the previous adhesive.
- Before starting the line, warm the adhesive to the optimum working temperature indicated in the technical description of the tested glue TM.
- It is recommended to skip the first few bottles in manual mode and check uniformity of glue application, adhesive layer thickness, label clamping, quality and fixing time, label displacement or shearing.
Manual starch adhesive application
Adhesive for manual application is selected depending on the type of bonded surfaces, which will provide sufficient adhesion for them. With the manual labeling method, low viscosity grades are selected. For manual application, it is also possible to use types of adhesives intended for equipment. These adhesives are more viscous, so technicians recommend diluting them with water just before use.
We recommend that you carefully consider the selection of starch glue for use on equipment, and for manual application. Incorrect selection leads to “shedding” of the label during packaging, transportation or at the point of sale. A badly glued or fallen off label creates an untidy look of product and damages the company's image.
To select starch adhesive properly, contact the Lux-X technical specialists. Our specialists will come to audit the equipment and test adhesives in the enterprise free of charge. Use the 'Order' button and managers will contact you as soon as possible!