Distinctive features and advantages of hot melt adhesive for industrial use
Hot melt is applied for bonding all substrates used for different applications almost in every industrial field.
It is extremely important to choose high-quality hot melt adhesive for gluing different materials.
Hot melt is an adhesive that by the influence of the temperature goes from a solid state to a liquid state and hardens again when cooled; this provides solid adhesion. Hot melt is used in the molten state at temperatures between 120 and 210 °С depending on applications and substrates to be bonded.
What is hot melt adhesive made of?
Hot melt is thermoplastic, 100% solid and does not contain solvents or water. Hot melt adhesives often consist of three main elements:
- Polymers providing strength, flexibility and basic mechanical properties.
- Methacrylate resins providing wetting and adhesive properties.
- Plasticizer controlling viscosity.
Hot melt adhesives come in various shapes: granules, pads, blocks or rods. The shape is developed to meet the specific applications and the design of the adhesive unit. Hot melt adhesives differ in colors: amber, beige, black, brown, yellow, transparent and white. Hot melt adhesives have different open time, melting and application temperatures. They can be sensitive to pressure and constant tack, heat and frost resistant etc.
Advantages of hot melt compared to other types of adhesives:
- provides reliable adhesion of various materials;
- economical to use and increases the efficiency of the production line;
- hot melt shelf life is about three years;
- hot melt is easily recycled, as a rule, without special measures of precautions;
- hot melt adhesive does not lose its thickness during solidification. For example, solvent based adhesives lose up to 50-70% of the layer thickness.
Hot melt adhesive applications
Hot melt adhesives are used for permeable and spongy surfaces. They bond different materials such as glass, wood, ceramics, metal, rubber and plastic. Which type of hot melt glue should be used in industrial application depends on the end product. It is important for food service industry that glue is non-toxic. In textile industry, the resistance to dry cleansing solvents is important to the clothes which can be subjected to dry-cleaning. It is important to use bio-degradable hot melt adhesives for diapers.
Here are some industrial applications of hot melt adhesives:
- printing industry
- disposable diapers and feminine hygiene products
- fastening of electronic parts and wires
- assembly and gluing of valves of corrugated boxes
- vehicle assembly
If you know what items you would like to glue but don't know which hot melt adhesive is better to use, call our hot line! In Lux-x, our technical specialists will help you quickly select an appropriate adhesive taking into account all your requests, the equipment used, application conditions and substrates to be bonded.