How to choose a hot melt adhesive?
Both in production and at home, adhesive is a product you cannot do without. There is always a use for it in any field, that is why adhesive is in great demand.
Today, let's talk about the hot melt or hot melt adhesive, its application and how to choose the right one so that it can effectively perform the work in accordance with the task at the enterprise.
What is hot melt?
Hot melt adhesive (hot melt, hot adhesive or thermoplastic adhesive) is an adhesive based on thermoplastic polymers. Hot melt is solid at room temperature and, when heated above the softening point, it passes into the viscous-flow state. Before using, it is necessary to heat with special equipment to melt it, and then apply it to the substrates to be bonded.
What is the advantage of using hot melt, compared with other types of adhesives?
- Strength is ensured by the fact that hot melt freezes when being cooled, and there is a strong adhesion of the substrates to be bonded, which makes it possible to use it in a wide variety of applications.
- Hot melt is resistant to the effects of various external factors, which makes the purpose of the hot melt universal.
- Hot melt adhesives consisting of polymers are suitable for the same applications as solvent adhesives. Hot melt has become so popular that it overtook the use of adhesives based on solvents. Compared with these adhesives, hot melt sets faster, is more economical, and lacks volatile organic compounds.
Where is hot melt applied?
- Packaging industry: production of packages from paper, cardboard and corrugated cardboard, production of adhesive tapes, gluing labels. Hot melt is used in this industry most often.
- Polygraphic industry: to glue roots of books and magazines.
- Textile and shoe industry: to glue appliqués, soles for shoes, etc.
- Woodworking and furniture industry: to face veneer and glue edges.
- The automotive industry uses hot melt adhesives for a variety of applications, including bonding insulation and cushioning materials, gluing headlights in metal frames.
- In the electronics industry, hot melt adhesives are also used, for example, for gluing coil windings and coil ends.
Types of hot melt
Varieties of polymers in this class are wide and include both natural and synthetic polymers. Depending on the chemical nature, application and purpose, hot melt is manufactured in various forms, they include: gluing sticks or hot melt sticks, pastilles, pellets, pads, barrels.
Hot melt is applied by spraying, extrusion or by means of a shaft. The hot melt distribution equipment can be in the form of reservoirs for hot melt, vacuum conveyors and other devices.
Raw materials used in hot melt affect the color and other organoleptic properties, functionality, cost and productivity. Typically, hot melt consists of a polymer that has various shapes and several components. These components include resins, waxes, and various additives such as: antioxidants, plasticizers, etc. Also, other chemicals can be added to the hot melt adhesive to give certain hot properties.
How to choose a hot melt adhesive?
Proper selection of glue is a very important step. When experts select a hot melt adhesive, they keep in mind a number of properties, including color, surface structure, bonding strength, time and others. Let's look at a number of key criteria that you should know when choosing a hot-melt adhesive.
- What material is the product made from? Do you glue wood, cardboard, foamed materials or something else? Are the materials to be bonded the same, for example, one is porous, and the other is not?
- What area do you need to glue together? Is it a small area, or do you need to apply an adhesive on a large surface before you glue the materials together?
- How will the final product be used? Think about where the glued product goes further: in the hands of a consumer, or it will be used further in another production process? In what conditions will the bonded products be stored and transported: a dry or wet room, temperature, etc.
In any case, to select a hot melt adhesive properly, we recommend you to contact our specialists. Technologists of "Lux-X" will take into account the features of the equipment in production, a type of substrates to be bonded, and conditions where glue will be applied. Remember, the right choice of adhesive will depend on the strength, functionality and appearance of the products you produce!
Tips for using hot melt
- The materials to be bonded must be dry and free of dust, oil and grease.
- Hot melt should be applied at the recommended temperature for a given brand.
- The temperature of the materials and the environment can affect adhesion.
- The amount of adhesive applied can greatly affect setting: too little - the glue will cool faster, perhaps before adhesion of materials occurs; too much - the glue prevents the glue line from cooling, allowing it to separate.
Where to buy hot melt?
If you want to order a hot melt, then we invite you to familiarize with a wide range of offers on our website. When calling "Lux-X", you can find out the real price for a hot melt and technical characteristics of the glue products. Thanks to many years of experience and high quality of used materials, Lux-X's products have become popular among the largest Ukrainian enterprises and among small companies that have cooperated with us for many years. If you have any questions or desire to purchase a hot melt, then you can always contact us by the phone numbers indicated on the site or fill out the feedback form. Free delivery of goods throughout Ukraine.