How to use and apply hot melt in sticks?
Adhesive rods (sticks)
Adhesive rods are used in many industries as part of the process of manufacturing and assembling products. In addition, rods are used in everyday life. In decorative arts there is nothing more universal than gluing with a hot glue gun.
Sticks are flexible rods of translucent glue placed in a special glue gun. After heating to the desired temperature, they are melted, and then applied to parts to be glued together. The glue coming out of the gun is hot, but it cools down quickly and hardens. Depending on the brand, adhesive rods have an open time from a few seconds to a minute. The ambient temperature also affects the open time. Hot melt is applied smoothly, fast tacks, can be stored for several years, versatile when working with a wide variety of materials.
Hot melt in sticks: types and varieties. How to choose assembly adhesive in sticks?
- Hot melt rods are made of thermoplastic polymer with the addition of wax, resin, stabilizers and adhesion additives in accordance with the purpose of a particular type of glue.
- Sticks used for industrial applications must have high productivity and good bonding properties for complex applications. Therefore, they are produced according to different recipes; each brand has its own specific characteristics.
- Adhesive sticks differ in diameter, length and are used depending on the type of glue gun. The most common diameter of the rods is 7 and 11 mm. The length of the rod varies from 4 to 30 cm.
- For various crafts and hobbies, color rods are produced, as well as rods with shiny patches that will reflect on the surface.
- Despite recommendations for the glue selection, customers must conduct their own tests of the adhesive product to determine suitability for the equipment used and substrates to be bonded.
Application of adhesive rods in industry
Hot melt rods are used in various types of assembly units, both small and large in size. They bond almost any substrates, for example: plastics, metals, ceramics, rubber, PVC, acrylic, polycarbonate, polystyrene, etc. Rods for hot glue guns have been applied in automotive and lighting assembly and electrical engineering.
It is important to understand that a stick is a thermoplastic product. Hot melt softens when heated and return to a solid state after cooling. For this reason, standard hot-melt rods are not recommended for applications where the bonded products are exposed to high temperatures or direct sunlight. It is recommended to use special industrial rods with high heat resistance for such applications.
Furniture manufacture and woodworking
When assembling furniture and woodworking, sticks for hot glue guns are used for fastening small joints, mounting and finishing. Another application is surface lamination of parts. Industrial sticks have excellent adhesion to materials used in furniture production: wood of various breeds, particle board, MDF, laminate, polyurethane foam, vinyl, fabric. High speed of setting and ease of use of hot melt in sticks significantly speeds up production. Due to the average open time, it is possible to adjust the glued parts, increasing the accuracy of the work performed.
Construction and repair
- Hot melt in sticks is widely used in the construction industry. With the help of a hot glue gun, builders not only glue, but also fix engineering services, fill seams, and seal.
- Glue sticks can be used for all types of flooring and carpets. Using sticks improves the quality and aesthetics of the floors, compared to nails and staples.
- With the help of hot melt rods it is possible to mount decor elements from various materials on the walls, floor and ceiling, such as: ceramics, stone, glass.
- It is especially convenient to use sticks on a vertical surface, due to the high setting speed.
Packing and Printing Industry
In packaging, adhesive rods are usually used to quickly close cardboard boxes, trays, wrappers and other types of finished packaging, as well as to compact and stabilize pallets. Industrial hot melt rods make packing processes effective due to strong setting and the water resistance of glue lines. It is especially important to apply sticks in high-speed production. Industrial hot glue guns allow to work in a continuous mode and not to stop production lines.
Many printing companies use adhesive products in sticks to attach samples, coupons or credit cards, as well as for book binding.
In addition to the above applications of glue rods in the industry, it is still possible to note the following:
- Bonding of labels. It is the most often used for gluing paper labels to polyethylene or plastic, including packaging with products that will be subjected to deep freezing.
- Transport. Industrial rods can be used to assemble cars, trucks and buses. In the transport sector, hot melt is used to connect small assemblies, to mount the skin, laminate surfaces and assemble various components.
- Electronics. Hot melt plays a key role in electronic production. Your computer, smartphone, TV remote and other devices that you use during the day, contain hot melt. In electronics, industrial hot melt adhesives should have some additional properties so that the instruments can function normally. Hot melt rods should not contain components that can damage electronic parts. It must also withstand vibration.
- Manufacture of footwear. Adhesive rods are used for applying to some parts in footwear manufacture: for gluing foam rubber inside, gluing insoles and the tongue of shoes, accessories that are on the outside.
Hot glue guns
A hot glue gun is one of the simplest tools. It consists of a heating element, a duct for feeding glue rods through the heating element and a holder or handle.
In most cases, hot glue guns are connected to the outlet and have a standardly fixed wire. To use the gun away from power sources, there are models with detachable cable that allows you to work autonomously from 10 to 15 minutes or with a charger in the form of a stand, as well as guns on batteries.
It takes about three minutes to heat the hot glue gun element to melt the solid adhesive sticks to a fluid state. When the glue starts to flow easily from the nozzle, this means that the gun has heated sufficiently to start work.
The price of guns varies for base models, available for less than $ 10, to professional models, the price of which is more than $ 100. When choosing a gun, you need to understand where it will be used, because different models differ significantly in control and comfort during operation.
How to apply hot melt in sticks?
- Choose the diameter of the glue rods, depending on the hot glue gun. The standard diameter of sticks is 7 and 11 mm. Guns are very sensitive to the diameter of rods, so make sure that it matches the size specified in the user's manual. The length of the rod does not matter. The longer the rod, the less it is necessary to change it.
- Before application, make sure that the nozzle on the gun does not contain dried pieces of glue.
- Fix the adhesive rod until it stops in a special round hole in the back of the gun. If the gun already has a partially used rod, you can complete it. You do not need to load a new stick every time for each project.
- Turn the gun on and wait for the glue to warm up. Usually the gun lasts two to three minutes, so that the glue melts and easily escapes from the nozzle when the trigger is pressed. Larger industrial guns may take up to five minutes to heat the glue.
- The bonding temperature for most hot glue sticks is the same - 160 - 190 ° C. Powerful industrial hot melt guns can be heated up to 200 ° C. This does not affect the glue characteristics of the stick, they will just melt faster.
- Important! The adhesive rods are melted at high temperature. In contact with skin, molten glue can cause severe burns if you do not follow proper safety precautions.
- Point the nozzle of the glue gun down and place it close to the object that you will be gluing together. Gently squeeze the trigger of the gun until the molten glue begins to flow out of the nozzle. Smoothly apply the adhesive directly to the surface of the product, leaving the nozzle in contact with the surface to be bonded.
- Use the amount of adhesive necessary to glue the product. Excessive amount of adhesive can cause soft surfaces to become hard and will not be usable. In addition, excess glue can flow out of the seams and have an unsightly appearance.
- Let the glue freeze for a few minutes. For a strong binding of some glued surfaces, additional temporary fixation may be necessary.
- After finishing the work, clean the nozzle from the adhesive residue. If the glue gun has an on / off switch, put it in the "off" position and disconnect the device from the power supply.
Depending on what tasks you are placing before the assembly adhesive in sticks, which you can buy on our website, we recommend you to choose adhesive after consulting with technical specialists of Lux-X. Thus, the quality of the work performed will meet your expectations.
If you want to buy the assembly adhesive in sticks, we offer to familiarize with an accessible assortment of glutinous products on the site "Lux-X". To order the chosen product or ask questions about this or that product, you can call us at the phone numbers indicated on the website or fill out the feedback form and our managers will call you back. The delivery of the presented assortment of goods is carried out throughout the territory of Ukraine. The price of the products will be specified upon confirmation by our manager.