How to stick a label?
Usually while going shopping to a supermarket, we don’t realize that thousands of cardboard boxes, bottles, paper bags, which we see on the shelves, are bonded with the help of adhesive technology. The fact is that we use adhesives everywhere, but people just don’t notice it.
When you enjoy a cool beer or a glass of your favorite wine, pay attention to the labels that decorate the front and back side of the bottle. A label is stuck to bottles before they are packaged and dispatched. The label helps to promote and sell goods, contains mandatory information about the product according to the legislation, positioning, quality characteristics requirements. The label becomes an element of strategic importance - the "supporting structure" of the packaging ideology.
Adhesives play a much more important role in the packaging and labeling process than you can imagine. Usually, consumers believe that the appearance of the label and the quality of its application on the packaging is directly connected with the quality of the product. A slanting, wrinkled or half-detached label can kill a desire to purchase a product and negatively affect the brand or image of a certain manufacturer. In this case, the question arises: How to stick a label?
To narrow down the search for a suitable adhesive, try to answer the following questions first:
- What type of a surface to stick it to? Will a label be attached to glass, polyethylene, metal, paper or wood? The features of these surfaces influence the choice of adhesive: smooth or rough, curved or flat, dry or wet. These properties and features have to be considered while selecting adhesive.
- What is the material of the label? The material of the label is another important factor. It may require glue with very high adhesive capacity (adhesion) to stick metalized, laminated or plastic label. The function of the label plays a key role and depends on whether the label has to be permanent or removable for temporary fixation.
- Conditions where a container with a label will be stored? Understanding the end use of a sticker is critical in selecting the right glue. Most adhesives are designed for storing glued products in the rooms with the average temperature. But what about the impact of external conditions? High and low temperatures, weather, sunlight, dirt, chemicals, moisture are the external conditions that have to be taken into account while selecting glue for labeling containers.
- What are the parameters of the labeling equipment? Labeling machine mark, line speed, label feed (magazine or reel), gluing unit (a nozzle, a shaft, a sheet die)
There are many types of labeling adhesives available on the market, and each one has its unique characteristics. Adhesives are not universal and bond only certain groups of materials. The strength and quality of the adhesive strength depend on the right choice of adhesive, joining construction, adherence to glue manufacturing conditions and application technology.
Varieties of labeling glues:
Labeling glues are classified into the following types:
- Water-base adhesives (cold water-soluble adhesives). The composition of such glues contains water used as a solvent. An adhesive seam is formed by water evaporation or absorption on the substrates to be bonded. There are several types of water-based adhesives for labels attached to glass bottles.
- Water-base starch adhesives. Designed for labeling dry or cold wet glass containers on rotary labeling machines with the capacity of up to 30,000 bottles per hour. Such adhesives are characterized by an average setting time. A relatively low cost makes it possible to widely use starch adhesive when gluing labels.
- Water-base casein glues. Used for labeling bottles of beer, champagne and some types of wine. The glue is recommended to be applied for automatic pasting of paper labels on the equipment with the capacity of up to 70,000 bottles per hour. Adhesives are characterized by high initial adhesion on a dry and wet surface, low consumption and a high speed of label tacking. The adhesive film is colorless and retains elasticity, when it dries. It is recommended to apply on glass (including recycled) containers, as well as to attach aluminum foil. This glue can be easily washed out in a bottle washer.
- Semisynthetic and synthetic water-base adhesives. Recommended to use on complex polymer surfaces PET, PVC, PE, PP. They are designed for automatic pasting of paper labels on the rotary and linear equipment, and also for г- and п-shaped documentary stamps on the rotational equipment.
If you correctly choose the necessary hot-melt adhesive brand with the help of specialized equipment, hot-melt adhesives can be glued on a container label consisting of any material and having a different surface and shape.
Labeling hot-melt can work:
- on high-speed equipment of all types in idle mode up to 70,000 bottles per hour, while keeping the equipment clean;
- with different label feed systems;
- on cold wet glass bottle;
- on hot dry jars to 85 ° C;
- on PET bottles with fizzy drinks, that expand after being filled out;
- on heat-shrinkable labels that can be safely heated after applying glue.
Hot glues or hot-melt adhesives are divided into three types:
- Pressure-sensitive hot-melt adhesive based on caoutchouc (PSA) is glue that retains the permanent tackiness of the surface where it is applied. This adhesive is ideal for materials that have a large area and are designed for a wide range of jobs with difficult-to-bond surfaces, and are used in manufacturing self-adhesive labels, labeling PET containers and other types of labels.
- Adhesive based on ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer (EVA) is a widely used type of hot-melt. Suitable for bonding various substrates and is often used in the paper, packaging and assembly industries. Adhesives based on EVA have a wide range of formulations, as the composition of the adhesive directly affects its properties.
- Glues based on metallocene or alpha-olefins. Thanks to their chemical composition, the adhesive is characterized by clean running and the system of adhesive equipment, the injector nozzle or the bath always remain clean. Such glue is also called "with the effect of self-cleaning". These are "unfilled" adhesives with a lower flow rate compared to EVA due to the high content of main components that are responsible for the adhesion.
Where to buy labeling glue?
To buy labeling glue, familiarize yourself with the assortment of adhesive products on the website "Lux-X". To order the chosen product and get answers to the questions of interest, call the phone numbers listed on the site, or fill out the feedback form and our managers will call you back. Free delivery is carried out throughout Ukraine and available if you make the order of more than 30 kg. The price of the products will be specified by our manager. Use the "Order" button and managers will contact you as soon as possible!