Glue for repairing furniture
- Which glues are used for repairing furniture?
- Which glue is best for repairing wooden furniture?
- Which glue is used for repairing cabinet furniture?
- Where to buy glue for repairing furniture?
Furniture is an essential complement to an interior, though with time it can lose its functional and aesthetic properties. Buying furniture is costly and not everyone can afford to buy a new piece of furniture. To save on money, damaged furniture can be repaired, including with the use of glue. Besides, glue for furniture is a requisite thing during furniture making. Therefore, this information will be useful for manufacturers and consumers alike.
Which glues are used for repairing furniture?
All glues for wood and furniture, depending on the source material, are organic of animal or plant origin and inorganic, based on synthetic polymers.
The most common glues for furniture are as follows:
- Carpentry water-based glues with fast setting on a surface and strong bonding of parts to each other, for instance, PVAc dispersion or polyvinyl acetate adhesive. PVAC is excellent for repairing wooden furniture. Polyvinyl acetate glues chipboard, fibreboard, MDF, plywood and other materials, and it is moisture resistant.
- Hot or thermoplastic adhesives are produced based on ethylene vinyl acetate or polyolefin. These adhesives need a high temperature for activating their bonding properties. Hot glue is used for applying edge bands, veneer sheets or a film onto parts used for making furniture.
- Contact adhesives reliably glue plastic coatings to table tops or other surfaces and ensure strong bonding of wooden veneer. Contact adhesive for gluing plastic is produced based on polychloroprene, therefore a point to keep in mind is that this adhesive is toxic and it not recommended for use indoors without industrial exhaust ventilation.
- Epoxy adhesives are a multipurpose means for repairing furniture. The glue advantages are condensate resistance, strength and durability, and a drawback is adhesive toxicity. Epoxy adhesives are of the following kinds: single-component ones including plasticisers and solvents, and two-component ones sold in two vessels, one contains the epoxy resin as a paste, and the other contains a hardener. Prior to being used, both substances are mixed and can bond virtually any material.
When choosing a glue for repairing furniture, the following must be considered:
- The article materials.
- Absence of toxic substances in the adhesive composition.
- Glue thickness that affects the adhesive application method and the setting rate.
- A point to keep in mind is that the glue should match the furniture tone colour. It is best to choose a glue with a suitable colour or a transparent glue, which after drying becomes indiscernible.
Which glue is best for repairing wooden furniture?
To glue wooden furniture, it is best to choose PVAc Lux glue. Polyvinyl acetate glue has not only superior adhesion properties, but also several other additional characteristics:
- Dries fast.
- Resistance to temperature changes and UV radiation.
- Having dried, the glue leaves no spots on the surface.
- Does not turn yellow with time.
- The moisture resistance level is D2-D3.
PVAc can be used not only for repairing a chair at home, but also to close cracks in a wooden floor. To do this, make a sealant based on PVAc glue by mixing fine wooden chips with the PVAC glue, and the sealant material is ready to be used. Fill the cracks with the paste and level the surface with a palette knife. Leave the repaired place for 24 hours until the glue dries completely. Read more about PVAc Lux glues here.
Which glue is used for repairing cabinet furniture?
Furniture can be renovated using a hot melt glue gun and EVA-based sticks. This can solve the problem of a loose edge band, loose veneer or renovating decorative articles.
With this in view, it is best to use a hot glue or hot melt glue sticks by BeardowAdams TM (Great Britain) represented in Ukraine by Lux-X LLC. When working with hot melt glue sticks, a special glue gun is used. How to work with a glue gun is described here.
To glue an edge band accurately, here are several life hacks:
- Prepare the surface. Before gluing the edge band, sandpaper the surface.
- Prepare the hot glue. Insert the glue sticks into the gun and heat them to a flow ability state.
- Apply the hot glue onto the edge band and place the material onto the surface to be glued.
- Make a pass with a roller on the glued material to flatten the edge band and prevent any bulging.
Where to buy glue for repairing furniture?
Among the market variety of gluing compositions for wood and furniture, it is essential to choose a glue that ensures strong glue bonding at an affordable price.
Consult Lux-X LLC experts on the issue of choosing a reliable adhesive for quality gluing of furniture. Lux-X LLC managers provide complete information and technical support during the entire period of collaboration.
Call a manager for advice and order a glue by telephone (057) 766-06-36 or by clicking on the Call-back button on our website.