What to do if PVAс glue has thickened: how to dilute the glue.
PVAс glue is considered to be the most famous adhesive for use in everyday life. Schoolchildren and their parents are familiar with PVAс glue mixtures as the best assistant for crafts made of paper, wood and cardboard.
In addition to domestic uses, PVAс glue is often used in construction and repair work and it also finds application in production. Glue is highly appreciated for its low cost and excellent adhesive qualities.
The most popular types of PVAс glue
- Paper glue. This type of glue is popular in almost all offices in the country. Paper PVAс glue is used for paper and cardboard materials.
- Wood glue. PVAс-based glue successfully copes with gluing wooden skirting boards, furniture and various wooden surfaces. Moreover, many leading experts consider PVAс glue the best option for wood. PVAс woodworking glue differs in the level of water resistance in adhesive joints D1-D4. Read more about the features of the glue here.
- Wallpaper glue. The name speaks for itself, this glue is used when gluing wallpaper. Ideal for washable and paper wallpaper on wooden, concrete and plastered walls.
- Construction glue. It can be used as a mixture in solutions for cementing, plaster and primers. Construction adhesive is often used in work for laying linoleum, parquet or tiles.
- Universal glue (PVAс-MB). This adhesive type glues paper, wood or leather materials and metal, glass and wood surfaces perfectly. Universal glue can also act as a binder in mixtures of putties, primers and concrete mortars.
- PVAс-M glue. It is known as a budget analogue of PVAс-MB glue. The "M" version is suitable for adhesion of wood, paper, cardboard. But manufacturers categorically do not recommend using it to join materials made from glass, porcelain or leather.
Why PVAс glue can thicken and how to fix it
On all glue packages expiration dates and storage conditions are listed. If the glue is stored in an open package for a long time or storage conditions are not met, the adhesive composition may thicken. A crust appears on the surface or dry white clots form. In such cases, the question often arises: what to do if PVAс glue has thickened? We want to mention that it is impossible to revive glue that has already dried completely, it can only be disposed of. But it is possible to revive adhesive that has thickened.
PVAс glue is an emulsion of polyvinyl acetate, water and additional components. Accordingly, the cause of adhesive drying from a technical point of view is the evaporation of water from the adhesive.
Often on the Internet you can find tips on the dilution of thickened adhesives. We, as a manufacturer of industrial adhesives, want to draw attention to the fact that thickened PVAс glue can only be diluted with water! Do not dilute with vinegar, solvents or gasoline. The water should be warm and it is necessary to add it in small amounts, stirring vigorously.
If a crust or dry flakes have already appeared on the surface of the glue, they need to be removed. Jelly-like lumps will dissolve by themselves. If you add too much water, PVAс glue will lose its plasticity, and perhaps even its adhesive ability. This is due to the fact that after drying, the water evaporates and the main adhesive is almost completely absent. Therefore, it is important to observe the correct proportions. Water should be no more than 5-10% of the original glue volume. Diluted with water, the glue should resemble thick sour cream.
Also, water added to the adhesive reduces its water resistance. Therefore, it is possible to apply PVAс glue diluted with water only to materials that are in a closed room. Glued surfaces should not be exposed to weather events such as severe frost or rain, otherwise the adhesive will simply disintegrate.
Immediately after dilution, the adhesive should not be used, it is desirable to let the glue infuse. After that, your PVAс glue will again be ready for use.
It is recommended that you mix PVAс glue every time before application to avoid a heterogeneous glue structure.
What else is there to do if PVAс glue has thickened? You may decide not to worry about it and just buy new glue. On the "Lux-X" company website you will learn more about the range of glues, and our experts will help you choose the adhesive to meet all of your requirements. More information about PVAс glue can be found by clicking on this link.